COVID-19 Info

COVID-19 Information & Updates

Update: May 29, 2020

Dear Camp Families,

We are thrilled to announce that River Run Camp will be open and welcoming campers this summer. In order to comply with state guidelines for keeping campers and staff safe, camp will look different, feel different and sound different this summer. Not all regular camp activities will be appropriate when adhering to best practices to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

However, kids have been required to make tremendous social, emotional and educational sacrifices over the past few months. We are committed to providing them with the smiles, laughter and social connections that camp offers in a safe, thoughtful environment.

Our approach to camp this summer is based on available guidance from the American Camping Association, current Maine CDC mandates, day camp-specific recommendations from the state, and conversations with local health professionals.

This is an overview of the elements of our COVID-19 response:

  • Stage 2 State Standards: Campers from out of state are required to quarantine for 14 days prior to attending camp.
  • Van Transportation: To help enforce physical distancing, we will not be offering van transportation this summer. Kids will need to be driven to and from camp. To help eliminate “pile-ups” of campers, we will be instituting staggered drop-off and pick up times. More details about this plan will be emailed to you shortly.
  • Hygiene Procedures: Hand washing measures will be a major feature of camp this year, reinforced by staff -- who will do their best to normalize it and make it fun, while taking it seriously. Kids may share items (such as craft supplies, balls for games, ping pong paddles), which will be disinfected regularly. In addition, staff members will perform regular cleaning of equipment and barn surfaces.
  • Screening: Parents will be asked to commit to daily symptom monitoring of their camper, and to never knowingly send a sick child to camp. On arrival, campers will also be asked to confirm that they do not have any symptoms of acute illness that could be associated with COVID-19. Parents will also be asked to commit to immediately reporting to us any potential COVID-19 exposure in a camper.
  • Distancing: Campers and staff will physically distance wherever possible — which will not be always, but the outdoor environment gives us a good options in this regard. We will establish small groups (10-15 kids with a counselor or two) to play games, swim, eat snack, etc. together throughout the day. We'll look for some safe, creative way to engage as a whole camp at some point during the day.
  • Face Coverings: When appropriate, face coverings will be used, especially when physical distancing is not possible. Campers are required to bring personal masks labeled with their names.

We are confident that our plans represent a thoughtful approach that follows the recommendations from many sources. In addition, we are prepared to alter our course at any time, depending on health risks or updates in state guidelines.

  • Camp Payment: We are asking that you make no additional payments at this time. You will receive an email in a couple of days outlining our payment system for completing your balance.
  • Senior Week: Taking extended field trips at this time is not part of our plan. We’ll have to wait and see what the risk situation in August looks like. We will have an alternative design for the week, if necessary.

We understand that not all parents will be comfortable sending kids to camp this summer. Some of you may have unique concerns relating to risk factors for COVID-19 complications in your child or in a household member. Others may simply decide that you are not ready to send your child to a group recreational setting yet. If for any reason, you choose not to send you child to camp this summer, please let us know right away. We will issue a full refund to you.

For those families who are ready for camp, we are pleased to be able to offer River Run Camp, carefully adapted to the world we live in now.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions, concerns, or thoughts at or 273-4366.

We look forward to seeing you this summer.

Stuart and Jane

Update: May 7, 2020

Dear Camp Families,

Here's where we stand. Stage 2 of the state's re-opening plan, beginning on June 1, will allow for the opening of Day Camps for Maine children and those who have met the 14 day quarantine requirement.

The Maine CDC and the American Camping Association are releasing their guidelines and recommendations for day camps in the next week or so. While we will carefully review and give these guidelines a lot of consideration, they are only recommendations. Our decision to operate this summer will be driven by our confidence in providing a safe, healthy and fun environment for our campers and staff. This continues to be our priority. We have given ourselves until May 29 to make that decision.

Kids that come to camp cannot be expected to maintain social distancing or wear masks. If that is part of the criteria of gatherings for our 30 campers and staff, we will most likely not be able to conform. While health screenings, disinfectant cleanings and hand-washing/hand sanitation are certainly procedures we could successfully adopt, masks and social distancing for kids playing games on the field or swimming in the river are not. 

I know this is as uncertain and anxiety provoking for you as it is for us. All we can do right now is to continue to investigate and learn best practices for a safe summer ahead and communicate with all of you on a regular basis. Tomorrow, we will be attending a virtual town meeting with health experts and camp professionals throughout New England. We look forward to continuing our information gathering process.

We understand the frustration that comes with uncertainty. We will continue to do everything we can to provide answers for you in a timely way. As hard as this is for all of us, we can only base decisions on what we know and understand. Thanks for your continued patience as we navigate the many factors involved with opening camp this summer.

Be well,
Stuart and Jane

Update: April 29, 2020

On April 28, Governor Mills released her Administration’s plan to gradually restart the state’s economy. Stage 2 of the plan, tentatively beginning on June 1, will allow for the opening of Day Camps for Maine children and those who have met the 14 day quarantine requirement.

While it is still too soon for a definitive decision, we are cautiously optimistic that River Run will open for its regularly scheduled first session on June 15.

For now, we will continue to plan and implement safety and screening protocols that will protect the health and safety of our campers and staff. We will continue to work with direction and guidelines from the Maine CDC, American Camping Association, local health professionals and other camp advisors to develop appropriate precautions and best practices for a safe camp environment. We will make a final decision by May 29. Please continue to hold all payments for now.

We continue planning for summer because we believe that kids need camp and one another now more than ever. New information becomes available every day and we want to be sure we’re making the most informed decisions possible. With all our hearts, we are hoping for the best.

We will monitor the state’s COVID-19 Prevention Checklist for Day Camps and keep you informed about decisions for camp opening, safety screening procedures and other camp business matters.

Fingers crossed for a summer of sunshine, fun and friends!

Update: April 13, 2020

Dear River Run Camp Families,

We’re sure you have questions about summer camp as social distancing requirements stretch closer to summer. At this time, as camp is still two months away, we are hopeful for another great camp season! The safety of our entire camp community is, and always will be, our priority. This is a very fluid situation and, at this time, we are carefully investigating and considering all possibilities. Be assured that updates will be communicated to you in a timely fashion.

Jane and I have been hard at work planning for the upcoming season. We are thrilled to share with you that Kisha, Zack and Mike will be returning for another summer with us. Any decision about the summer 2020 season—to hold camp as scheduled, modify our offerings in some way, or cancel camp—will be made with our staff based on recommendations and requirements from the state of Maine, the federal government, the American Camp Association, medical health professionals, and other trusted advisors in the camping industry.

Our payment policies, outlined on the River Run website, note that balances for camp sessions and van transportation are due on May 1. Because of the uncertainty of the upcoming season, we are waiving this requirement until we have a clearer picture of the summer season ahead. If we need to alter our sessions, we will make financial adjustments accordingly.

We know how much you care about camp. Because we share that feeling, we are taking the time needed to determine the best path forward for the 2020 season. It is our sincere hope that all River Run Camp sessions will be able to run as scheduled. While it is difficult to know at this point, we estimate making a final decision by late May. The safety of our campers and staff is always our top priority.

You and your families have been on our minds and we hope you are all safe and well. Please remember that you can contact us at any time with questions or comments at or 273-4366.

Stuart and Jane

Update: March 20, 2020

Dear River Run Camp Families,

We are closely monitoring Coronavirus (COVID-19) developments and working to plan for and manage possible disruptions in our programs, implement recommendations, and communicate with our community.

At this time, we do not plan to cancel any sessions for summer 2020. Since the situation is changing rapidly, however, we will be following developments closely and will continue to post any updates here on our website. Please check in often to stay current on related news. We will also continue to email directly the parents of 2020 campers with any information that affects your children’s summer.

We are in a dynamic situation and while we can’t predict the future, there is currently no reason to believe with certainty that camp won’t happen this summer. Now is a time for patience and hope. We will watch for guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the Maine Health Department. We will consult with our peers and advisors. We will follow evolving information and contingencies for ensuring a safe summer season for our campers.

We are preparing for normal programming and our existing withdrawal payment policies are in currently in effect. Given the uncertainty of this virus, we will continue to review our policy and try to make a clear determination before balances are due in May. In the event of a partial or full closure, River Run will eliminate our withdrawal policies and offer full refunds of camper balances.

The safety and health of our campers, participants, and staff is—at all times— our first priority. Over the next couple of months, we will follow recommendations of the Maine CDC, American Camping Association and The Association of Camp Nurses. We will continue to work closely with our local public health department to maintain effective protocols for the identification and appropriate treatment of any illnesses that may occur at camp, including COVID-19.

If you have any questions, please contact us through or 273-4366.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Be well, stay safe, and keep washing hands as we look forward to a fun-filled summer at camp.

Stuart and Jane